Dr. Diana Hoppe, M.D., and author of Healthy Sex Drive, Healthy You, breaks down the sexual challenges women can face in midlife and while going through perimenopause – but don’t worry, there’s good news! Click on the YouTube link below to watch my interview with her…
While it’s been said that women are in their sexual prime in their 40s, many of us around that age are fairly likely to say, ‘Are you actually kidding me?’. With busy careers, and or/young children to focus on, never mind the million other things us women have on our plates, sex can often take a back seat, especially if you’re in a long-term relationship that’s gotten, well, a little ‘meh’ in the bedroom.
Add to that, hormonal changes brought on by perimenopause, which can cause loss of sex drive, vaginal dryness leading to pain during sex, insomnia, and newfound weight and body image issues, and ‘Where’s the good news?‘ I hear you scream.
Fear not! Click on the YouTube link above to watch my interview with Dr. Hoppe as she breaks down sex in our 40s, including when and why your sex drive is probably higher, ways to deal with perimenopause sex issues, and how after menopause, sex can actually be better than ever.
Stress over loss of sex drive and/or vaginal dryness can be overwhelming, upsetting, and feel very isolating. It can be a taboo subject for some women, and one you’re not even comfortable talking about with a friend, but just know it’s a common problem and there is solution for it all.
As Dr. Hoppe says when wrapping up our interview, don’t expect an overnight solution. It’s all about what works for you and your comfort level, and will likely involve a process of elimination from the suggestions in our interview and in conversation with your own doctor. Some of the topics Dr. Hoppe sheds light on include:
- Which part of the month your sex drive is the highest in your 40s (prior to hormones kicking in)
- How and why loss of estrogen during perimenopause affects our bodies and sex lives
- How to discuss your loss of sex drive with your partner (see how this free online course can help)
- Why women often put on weight more easily during perimenopause
- Various solutions to help women experiencing loss of sex drive and vaginal dryness, including bio-identical hormone therapy.
I hope the interview helps x